Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Peaceful Rebel

I'm wearing the cool (temperature) colors of blue and green in chiffon material with the darker neutral tone black jacket, belt, and heels. Black and silver are my base colors, while the others are very prominent accents. Base colors bring your whole outfit together making it cohesive instead of random. 

 The building behind me is Clark Atlanta University's Art Gallery Building and the grass is Morehouse's property. 


This site is the memorial of Benjamin E. Mays, President of Morehouse in 1940. He was a very impressive outstanding author, activist, educator, and leader. I have recently learned that Dr. Mays wrote a book called Born to Rebel. This outfit was coincidentally symbolically parallel to this incredible man's work. 

 I got this black military style jacket in Macy's years ago.
 This is the memorial in front of Graves Hall at Morehouse College. 
 The skirt is from Shasa for no more than 12$. I bought the black suede heels at Rainbow for no more than 30$. 


Morehouse College is literally a few steps away from Spelman. It is our brother school. Spelman is an all female HBCU (historical black college or university) and Morehouse is an all male HBCU. We are essentially the same entity. Together we are called SpelHouse. I had to show love to my brothers:) Morehouse men make up a bulk of my family tree. And I took the initiative of starting the Spelman Legacy in my family for the girls to come in the future.

Not to be mistaken we are not the only schools that are here in the AUC (Atlanta University Center). There is also: Clark Atlanta University, (which I take all of my fashion classes at) Morris Brown College, Morehouse School of Medicine, and the Interdenominational Theological Center. AUC unity does have its kinks to work out, but it used to be very alive and well, and I'm confident it will be again soon.





Graves Hall (named after the second President of the college) when constructed in the 1880s, it was the tallest building in Atlanta. When the college relocated to West End Area, student housing, classrooms, and admiration offices were all contained within the building. 
I tucked in this printed chiffon top into the skirt. It is actually longer in the back and has cut outs that are covered by the jacket. I bought it as well at Macy's Long ago. As a broke college students sometimes the best thing you can do is wear your old clothes in a new and innovative way in which you haven't worn them before! 
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment