Monday, October 28, 2013

Style Bloggers of Color Conference

October 11-13th I had the pleasure of attending the Style Bloggers of Color Conference in Miami Florida!
I met such amazing women and learned invaluable information on how to improve my own blog. 
This post includes all of the famous fashion and style bloggers I met, the wonderful outfits, and a recap of the weekend.

I won free tickets to the conference through a Instagram contest where I posted a pic of my favorite purple outfit and stated exactly why I wanted to go to SBOC2013 (Style Bloggers of Color Conference 2013). If you want to see that post look up @HoustonScott on Instagram. 

My Spelman Sister, Fennella Miller that blogs and has her own online store,  Jesus Love, won free tickets as well.
We got in my little car (with two other friends) drove ten hours through the night, checked in the hotel, got dressed and went to the conference! 


With our day 1 outfits we were ready to take over the blogging world
The shoes-her floral heels are from Forever21 and my boots are from Rainbow.
Check out how I made these shorts in my DIY Tab above.


The Wonderfully Stylish People I Met

I had the pleasure of meeting fellow Spelman Sister Blake Von D Style Blogger Extraordinaire. 

Sisters that blog and live in Atlanta with me, Filthy-Chic

Stylish woman headed to a wedding near my hotel. Dress by Lanvin
Ran into Hip Hop artists Famez Music and Jah Cuba  near our hotel as well.



The Creator of Style Bloggers of Color Mattie James
Nicole Garner PR Maven and Author of "Are You In? Inc." 


The Conference

The first panel discussion was about "What Brands are Looking For" in bloggers.
The second panel was called "Social Media Butterfly" about how to use social media to connect with your readers, build community,and use multiple platforms to their specific advantages, featuring Blake Von D of Blake Von D, Shayla Drake of All Things Slim, Charles Wade of Tuff Magazine, Inez of Style Chic 360, and Nife Oluwole of Skinny Hipster.
The third panel was "Multimedia Blogging" with Kéla Walker of Kéla's Kloset, Nicole Garner of The Garner Circle (a PR Maven), and Janel Martinez of Black Enterprise.

The fourth panel, entitled "You Dot Com", stressed sustaining individuality while blogging. Panelists were Leslie Young of Fashion du Jour, Ria Michelle of Ria Michelle, Martha Dominguez of Princess Martha, Ariel Burke of Fashion Devotee, and Chanel of Chanel Files.

Mattie James oMattieologie and the SBOC Conference Creator lead the last session on "The Business of Blogging"

The panel discussions and workshops motivated me in ways I didn't think possible. There are so many ways to blog successfully. 

Please stay tuned with me as I improve:)

I won a H&M gift card from the presentation about photography by answering the question "what is photo composition?" 
 Goodie bag contents from the Awards Show.

 Last Night in Miami Outfit
I had an amazing time and will definitely be attending the next SBOC Conference. 

XOXO





No comments:

Post a Comment